One of the great preachers in America was George Whitefield. He had a major impact on all who heard him preach the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Benjamin Franklin in a letter to Noble Jones, the Secretary of the Council of Georgia, said, "I knew Whitefield intimately upward of 30 years: His integrity, disinterestedness and indefatigable zeal in prosecuting every good work, I have never seen equalled, I shall never see excelled." Later Franklin wrote "Mr. Whitefield used to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard."
George Whitefield was driven by a passion for the Lord Jesus and a desire to be pleasing to the Lord. In his Diary he had a list of criteria which he used each night as a basis of judging himself on his actions during the day. The list is as follows:
1. Been fervent in private prayers?
2. Used stated hours of prayer?
3. Used sudden statement of prayer ever hour?
4. After or before every deliberate conversation or action, considered how it might tend to God's glory?
5. After any pleasure, immediately given thanks?
6. Planned business for the day?
7. Been simple and recollected (composed) in everything?
8. Been zealous in undertaking and active in doing what good I could?
9. Been meek, cheerful, affable in everything I said or did?
10. Been proud, vain, unchaste, or enviable of others?
11. Recollected (composed) in eating and drinking? Thankful? Temperate in sleep?
12. Taken time for giving thanks according to William Law's rules?
13. Been diligent in studies?
14. Thought or spoken unkindly of anyone?
15. Confessed all sins?
He was a man who took seriously each day that God gave him and because of that he made an impact on our country. How serious are you in examining your life each day to make certain that you have given your best for the Lord Jesus. Paul told the church at Colossae, "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." Maybe a checklist each day would help you in your walk with the Lord!