Tuesday, October 07, 2003

I want to strongly recommend to all to see the movie "Luther." It is an accurate portrayal of one the great men of history. I was amazed at the boldness for the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ that Luther demonstrated throughout his life. One of the great moments in the movie is at the Diet of Worms were Luther is brought before the King to recant all his writings. After one night of prayer, on April 18, 1521 Luther spoke words that changed the world. He said, "Since your most Serene Majesty and your High mightiness, require from me a direct and precise answer, I will give you one, and it is this. I cannot submit my faith either to the pope or to the councils, because it is clear as day that they have frequently erred and contradicted each other. Unless, therefore, I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture, or on plain and clear grounds of reason, so that conscience shall bind me to make acknowledgement of error. I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything contrary to conscience."

Then looking around about the gathered assembly of rulers he added: "Here I stand, I can do no other. May God help me. Amen."

The boldness of one man spread throughout Europe and led to the Reformation. I encourage to you see the movie and come to understand the boldness that is sometimes needed when we stand for truth in a culture that is hostile to all that is good and right!

No comments: